Saturday, May 7, 2011

I am contributing to this blog. Look at my contribution.

Okay, so a couple weeks ago, I volunteered to help make contributions to the Mu Phi blog we've got going on here. I thought, this is great; I've got a venue through which I can add constructive posts to our group and help add to discourse or something. In any case, I was looking forward to helping out and stuff.

Then yesterday, it came to my attention that I hadn't actually done anything. Not a single post at all. So I decided that I needed to contribute something. So then in between trips to Storage Mart, I decided to actually put something into this blog, you know, to show my dedication to Mu Phi and all that.

So for the sake of giving this blog post a point, here's a little behind-the-scenes look at how one of the most important aspects of your weekly Mu Phi meeting note emails is made: the YouTube video. Oh man, we're all so excited now!

So as most of you are hopefully aware, just about every weekly email I've sent you all since August has had a link to a YouTube video. There is no real reason that I do this. I think I did it once early on, and decided to stick with it. And if you remember correctly, since you all follow my emails that closely, when the new pledge class started receiving emails, I gave a short explanation as to what kind of videos I choose. Basically, I tend to go with either an 80's music video or just something completely stupid. Now the stupid stuff (Gimme Pizza, Baby Monkey Riding on a Pig, I'm sure you remember all of these) I'll get to later. I like my thought-process with those 80's music videos a little better.

Now I don't go with just any 80's song though. Again, for no real reason, I've come up with a certain list of criteria that these videos must follow to make it into the notes. First off, the video must be a song or somewhat music related. Go ahead and look back at my emails. They're all songs! Boom! That's right! I was keeping it in da music with mah videos! Bet you didn't even think of that!

Anyway, as far as the music videos go, the second criteria is that the song must be good. If you look at all those music videos, you'll see that at least in my humble opinion, all of the actual songs are all good. You may disagree, but remember, you do not write Mu Phi notes, so your opinion means nothing.

Now you would think my next criteria would be that the song must be from the 80's. But that's not completely true. I've let The Ramones, The Proclaimers, Metallica, and so on slide, just because again, they fall under the whole good-song thing, plus, they were close enough to the 80's.

Also, though I don't always stick with this, I like to go with an actual music video rather than something like concert footage. The music videos, especially those made in the 80's with their weird visual effects and forced plot lines are just more fun to watch. This is why ZZ Top made it into the emails multiple times this year; because their music videos are the best and are what all other music videos should aspire to be.

But you know, there are plenty of songs that I've considered putting into the notes, but refrained, not because they slightly miss meeting all of these criteria, but because they see the rule I'm trying to enforce, and not just fail to meet it, they completely destroy it and then laugh in its face. Take Devo for example. When you think of cheesy 80's music videos, Devo normally comes up. So why after going on about how much I like 80's music videos, did I neglect to include a single Devo video this entire year? Well take a look at this right here and tell me that you'd honestly be okay with me sending this out to all of you late at night on a Monday night. You know, just before you go to sleep.




And you have now lost the will to live.

So yeah, I actually put a lot of thought into what video I include in the Mu Phi notes email. But when I don't I give you this.

I think I've written enough now. To those of you who read all of this, congratulations. You could have spent this time studying or packing or doing something more productive. Instead, you read about 80's music videos and how much Devo creeps out the world. Good work.


No comments:

Post a Comment